Monday, January 30, 2012

Whats it all about?

So...Why the blog?  Well a big jolly friend of mine said you must do this blog or I'll sit on you.  He's big (I mean really big) so I took the easy option.

I've always loved bikes and when I moved to the Netherlands it was the perfect place to buy more bikes.  Lets face it the most prized possession of a Dutchman is his bike and each one owns about three.  When I was young and raced a road bike I wanted a mountain bike.  When that got nicked I brought a mountain bike.  And finally ten years later I finally have both again.

So whats the blog about?  Well now that I use the road bike a lot more I've met some friends and we have plenty of laughs along the way.  We all share a passion for cycling.  It doesn't really matter if your fat and slow or lean and fast.  Enjoying yourself comes first.  Along the way there's lots of fun and a few dramas as well.  This year we have all signed up for one Sportive to compete or even complete. 

I've signed up for a few more than the rest but most are to help me with one event.  The Trans-Portugal in where else but Portugal.  The lovely Mrs BobGfish was the one that suggested I go for this event. Not sure she was aware what was about to happen.

So a list of my events this year are
  • Ronde van Vlandeeren 
  • Paris Roubaix
  • Amstel Gold
  • Liege Bastogne Liege
  • Trans Portugal (MTB)
  • Klim Classic
  • Jean Nelissen Classic
  • Passportes Du Soleil (MTB)
  • La Marmotte
  • Otzaler
My first ever race I can remember seeing on TV at about 12 years old was Paris-Roubaix.  The "hell of the north".  Now that I'm finally in Europe nearly thirty years later I'm going to ride it !!"

I'm hoping to share some of the problems and pains along the way. I'm certainly looking forward to it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment